Joel Schneider wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 01:50:11PM -0600, David Blevins wrote:
> > I have a new machine which will serve as my gateway/firewall plus a
> > ton more.
>
> Conventional wisdom would really recommend using a separate box, running
> only a minimal number of services, as the gateway/firewall.

This is undeniably true, in fact, you pointing it out gave me motivation to
go tinker with my network.  I have a 3Com wireless gateway/firewall which is
ideal for running a completely private network, but you can't do port
forward or anything, so it doesn't work for running any Internet services.
I tried once several months ago to setup a machine to run in front of it as
a DMZ and router, but didn't get it to work.  I just went back and tried
again... bingo, it works! Not sure what I didn't know last time I tried it
that I know now, regardless, great!

This is the strangest part, suddenly iptables works *incredibly* faster,
literally 100x faster, before I could barely check my email it was so slow.
I didn't make any changes to iptables at all either, just rearranged network
cables.  I get the feeling the 3com gateway is to blame, I'd love to figure
out why.

Thanks for the wake up call, suddenly my whole networks is safer and faster!
How often does that happen.

-David