Quoting Ben Bargabus (ben_b at ppdonline.com):
> Hello,
> I've been messing around with iptables and ip aliasing on a redhat 7.2
> box and everything seems to be coming together but whenever I reboot all
> my changes go away when the startup scripts are run.  Anyway there are
> about a million places that startup information is being stored so I'm
> wondering where each of my statements should go.  Is there a good source
> online (HOWTO, faq, etc...) that describes what goes where and the order
> in which things should happen?

% man iptables-save

save the output to /etc/sysconfig/iptables (at least under Redhat)

Start up files are -all- in 1 place, /etc/rc.d/init.d

Config files are -all- in /etc  (stock redhat) or subdirectories in /etc

--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500