Solaris sucks. I've never been able to get color mutt running on it. I
haven't tried in a few years now, but if I remember correctly you
needed to recompile ncurses with some extra options and then recompile
mutt to use the new ncurses libraries. (or something like that)

I found it easier to use fetchmail to download to my Linux server.