this is not necessarily true.  i've ordered my last 3 phone lines (yes
here in minneapolis) w/o long distance i simply use my one rate cell
phone to make calls long distance.  you can explicitly request
that there be no long distance service on a phone line.   then you
won't get it.

this is great for parents buying the second line for their kids to
insure that they're not ringing up massive long distance changes.
it's commonly done for businesses that want to have a guest phone line
but don't want people ringing up long-distance bills from the lobby.
(granted you can do the same thing from a PBX)

it sounds like your experiences have been more akin to slamming.

when last we saw our hero (Thursday, May 09, 2002),
 Gabe Turner was madly tapping out:

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC