On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 07:59:32AM -0500, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 09:11 pm, you wrote:
> > On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 06:44:12PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> > > How many people run Gentoo here?
> >
> > I do. (But you probably guessed that.)
> >
> > -Tim
>
> Could you talk a little about the whole installation?  How long did it take
> from start-of-installation to getting-real-work done?  There's a lot that
> seems attractive about it, and frankly, I'd love to play with it, but while I
> might be able to spare a day or two -- which is about what it took for me to
> get Mandrake back up-and-running after I made the mistake of trying to update
> to KDE3 and broke things really badly.

Well, I wouldn't suggest installing Gentoo if you really plan on getting
work done.  It's not all _that_ raw, but it's very, very distracting :)  I
use it because tinkering with it is fun.  Though, I _am_ a sysadmin and I
find that sort of thing amusing.

I got a working system up in a few hours.  If you don't waste your time
building gigantic, bloated stuff like Gnome and/or KDE, it doesn't take too
long at all.  Of course, I spent the next several months playing with
compiler optimizations and rebuilding my system repeatedly.

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu