Many of the first generation of programs were written with software timeing
loops.
Faster CPUs made these programs unusable.
The C robots game would be over before you could even see what the
contestants were doing.
The turbo button made these programs more useful.
Even today, this is a handy "cheat mode" with some games.

Mark Browne

<Snip - sad tale>

I pressed the turbo button, the turbo light came on, and my server
sprang back to life.  A whole week of head scratching and it came down to
this: when I moved the server, I bumped the turbo button.  Apparently this
button turns a 486 into an 8086.

So I ask, where did the turbo button come from and what is its intended
purpose?

-Brian