On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 04:26:00PM -0500, Amy Tanner wrote:
> Can someone explain what an apt-get install does differently than an
> apt-get upgrade, that an apt-get install apt works when an apt-get
> upgrade apt does not?  I thought both would remove apt and then install
> the newer one.

apt-get install = Install the newest available version of the named
                  package

apt-get upgrade = Upgrade all installed packages to the newest
                  versions, except for those which would require new
                  packages to be installed or existing packages to be
                  removed

In the situation your last few posts have described, apt-get upgrade
would leave apt alone on the basis that installing the new version
would require the removal of up2date.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss