On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 20:32, Willenbring, Daniel J. wrote:
> I now have a Cisco 678 and Red Hat 7.3 up and running.  The 678 is doing NAT
> and I'm trying to get sshd working on the RH box behind it.  I can SSH to
> localhost, and my private IP on the LAN and it works fine, so I think SSH is
> setup correctly.  I added a line to the NAT table on the modem for port 22,
> pointing it to my local IP.  When I type show nat it looks like this:
>
> Local IP : Port      Global IP : Port      Timer Flags    Proto Interface
> 10.0.0.3:22     209.98.143.114:22           0   0x00041  tcp   eth0 wan0-0

SSH works through my 678 just fine. My nat entry is exactly the same,
except for my IP addresses of course :-). My server is running RedHat
7.2, recently upgraded from RH 6.2. Very smooth upgrade, by the way.

> When I try to connect to my public address (or ip) it stalls.  I ran ssh -v
> -v -v and it gets just as far if I try to connect to a box that doesn't
> exist.  So I've narrowed it down to the modem (I think).  Are there any
> tricks to get the 678 to correctly forward those requests?  How can I
> troubleshoot this or test it?

The symptom makes it sound like your tcp packets are either (1) not
reaching the server, or (2) reaching the server, but the server is
unable to respond back to your client. Do you have any other ports being
forwarded by your 678? Web or mail, perhaps, that you could test? Have
you verified that your server is able to reach the 'Net? If not, do you
have the correct default gateway setup?

--
Dave Sherman               Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA             for you are crunchy,