On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 03:09:11PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> Quoting nate at refried.org (nate at refried.org):
> > On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 10:46:32AM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> > > I thought make was supposed to be smart enough to compile stuff in the
> > > right order so make -j would work.. ah well.  :)
> >
> > Only if the Makefile was written correctly.  Many make files aren't.
> > This is one of the reasons behind kbuild 2.5.
>
> kbuild as in part of kde? or is this something else?

No, kbuild as in the build system for the Linux kernel.  The current
system is a bunch of recursive Makefiles.  kbuild 2.5 was written by
Keith Owens to solve the inconsistency problems with the current build
system and add some very nice features.  It generates a global Makefile
with complete knownledge of every kernel file that needs to be built so
make can do it's job.

> I'm finding lots of Makefiles are horked and don't work until -j 2

Many people consider make to be a black art.  It's not surprising that
you're finding lots of Makefiles that don't work correctly.  Perhaps
someone with a good understanding of make could run a lecture.  Whatever
happened to those evening round tables you (Bob) talked about months
ago?

Nate