This is mostly just FYI, but if anyone else has played around with it,
I'd like to know..

I finally got around to trying out some packet-cd patches to the Linux
kernel so that I could write to a CD-RW just like another filesystem.
Of course, it's still experimental, so it didn't work 100%.

I went and downloaded a patch for packet writing from
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/

As far as I can tell, that's not the official site, but I got that
location through a post on the packet-writing mailing list
http://lists.suse.com/archive/packet-writing/2002-Sep/0012.html

Anyway, I applied that patch along with preemtible kernel and
low-latency scheduling patches (which might explain some problems ;-) to
a Debian kernel source package.  I selected what appeared to be
appropriate options in the kernel.  In particular, I enabled `Packet
writing on CD/DVD media' under `Block Devices'.

Upon booting, I looked at the fairly sparse documentation for the UDF
filesystem tools (udftools in Debian, though I don't know if they're
older than what I should be using).  There are three or four basic steps
to using packet writing at this point:

Quick blank/format of the disc:
  cdrwtools -d /dev/scd0 -q
If you compiled support as a module, make sure it's loaded
  modprobe pktcdvd
Associate your CD/DVD burner with a Packet CD/DVD device
  pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/scd0
Mount the filesystem
  mount -t udf /dev/pktcdvd0 /mnt

At this point I got worried, as I hadn't remembered to enable UDF write
support in the kernel configuration.  However, I was still able to write
to the disc.  I'm confused why it worked, I suppose I might have to dig
into code at some point.

Anyway, I mounted the disk, and saw a good ol' `lost+found' directory,
and was able to touch a file or two, and copied a tarball of the linux
kernel source to the disk.  It all seemed to work fine, though much of
the writing seemed to be delayed until I umounted the disc.  I think it
ran into an error, as the machine froze for a few seconds at one point.

After playing around a bit, I tried putting the disc into my DVD-ROM
drive to just read it.  Doing that was a bad idea, apparently, as
attempting to read the disk just caused the kernel to reset the IDE bus
over and over until I rebooted the system.

After that, I think I was able to read the disc read-only in the CD-RW
drive, but it didn't want to mount as read-write again.  I just got back
to where I was last night, as I had to blank the disc I was using and
reformat it (a real pain on a 4x drive).

Anyway, something to play with.  I wouldn't trust it yet, and it's
slower than just creating an ISO image and burning it to CD-RW if you
know what you want to write (since you need to (blank,) format, write,
as opposed to merely (blank,) write).  But it's nice if you're just
adding one file at a time (and it's possible to remove stuff, too).

However, for people who want a replacement for a floppy, I think it's
probably even easier to just get a portable USB mass storage device,
like a keychain flash memory drive or a pocket hard drive.  Just my
opinion..

Well, I've probably wasted enough bandwidth..

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Famous last words - Don't
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   worry, I can handle it.