On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 09:10:54PM -0600, Brian wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Shawn wrote:
>
> > In a sense, isn't this already being done with the various ports
> > offered by different vendors?
>
> Yes, but often vendors *cough* Redhat *cough*  like to add their own
> little patches and so forth.  I'd rather grab a vanilla kernel and apply
> the stuff *I* want patched in.

What do you prefer? A hacked up debian kernel that has *important* modules
like, oh, i don't know, ext filesystem support as a module?

> I won't go into whatever Gentoo did to theirs, I don't remember what I saw
> in there but it sent for scrambling for the vanilla source!

Feel free, most folks who would notice the difference have the know-how to
compile their own. I for one appreciate the fact that redhat puts time
and money into working on the linux kernel.