You are right: I used too few words to express my real respect and clarify
where my reservations or hot buttons really are.

I apologize to any students, but have issues with admin at state and county
levels:

a) During the big downsizings of c1990, "dislocated worker" programs for
hi-tech professionals (at/in/for vo-techs) told us
    1) "we didn't deserve to have the salaries we had"
    2) "you should feel lucky if you can find another job at even 1/2 your
previous salary"
    3) "spend your allocations with us so that can become true"
b) Some people in the professional community had vo-tech faculty positions
and blocked accreditation/licensure
   programs which would enable students and professionals to acquire some
key post baccalaureate skills.
   The political power of this is awful.  It's about the same today.
c) we formed our own non-profit activities and typically achieved more than
12% increase over previous salaries.

The state vo-tech admins get nearly 100% of the dislocated worker funds, and
produce 0% of the professional result (as in PE, etc).  Roughly 80% of these
funds they get goes to "overhead" and not to program content.

I mean to be very respectful of non-degreed technical troops, but to
differentiate that there usually are different career paths involved.  I
have several life-long friends who were my technical support team players
when we were doing lasers in the jungle and such with embedded computers.
These different people usually work well together and make good teams.
There's often a lot of overlap in the functions.  I don't mean to praise
universities either: we make our own curriculae in whatever path we take if
we're reasonably motivated and "it's fun".

The institution itself doesn't make the person or a career, but either type
can be limiting or underwhelming or maybe inspiring and enabling.

---
Chuck