On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:23:07AM -0500, John Hoffoss wrote:
> The short of it is I attempted installing
> Gentoo Linux on a [non-Compaq] PC with a Compaq Smart-2SL SCSI
> controller (4x18.2 GB in RAID0 array, created prior to beginning
> installation in Windows using Compaq's utility). I did modprobe sr_mod,
> sd_mod, cpqarray. After doing this, there are no /dev/sd* devices
> listed, but I get /dev/ida/c0d0 and /dev/rd/0.
 When I  fdisk
> /dev/ida/c0d0, it gives me "you will not be able to write the partition
> table", then "Unable to read /dev/ida/c0d0" and exits. fdisk /dev/rd/*
> (contains rd0-rd15 and initrd) lets me into fdisk, tells me sector size
> is 1024, not 512 (I think it's actually 128, maybe 512 though) and shows
> the geometry as 1 head, 22000 sectors, 1 cylinder, so if I create one
> partition, it ends up being the full amount, since there is only one
> cylinder. If this doesn't work, I'm just scrapping it and I'll throw the
> RAID stuff in a windows box, but I'd like to utilize it here if I can.
> So if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.-John

I'm not sure what a Compaq Smart-2SL is and I haven't yet tried Gentoo,
but I did once put together some notes on how to install Debian on a
Compaq ProLiant 1500 (has SMART array controller, P/N 181132) that might
be of some, possibly little, help:

http://www.joelschneider.net/compaq_proliant_1500_debian_potato.html

When setting up the ProLiant, I found Richard Black's "Compaq Servers and
Linux: site to be an excellent resource:

http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/

Compaq's web site also tends to be pretty useful:

http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/linux/optionsmatrix_old.html

Based on the above options matrix from Compaq's site, it looks like the
Smart-2SL controller is supported by the cpqarray driver (same as the
SMART controller in my ProLiant).  That driver has its own major device
numbers reserved in the linux kernel:  /dev/ida/c0d0, etc.

--
Joel Schneider              Jazz - jazz88fm.com
joel at joelschneider.net      ISEE - www.i-see.org