> I'm going to go with Debian (stop jumping up and down) because I've
> installed it on laptops using the diskettes, all I have is a diskette
> drive.
>      * I have an internal CD ROM that I could fudge to get Linux
> installed I guess, ?hmmmm? *

I just installed Debian on a Sparc Sunfire 120, it wasn't too painful.  I don't think I even had to build a custom install CD, so I'd assume you would be fine with the CD or boot disks (so long as they are the Sparc version and not x86 of course).

Does Debian install well on old laptops?  I have a PII Gateway that I want to throw Debian or Slackware on.

> What I need to do is use a serial cable to get a terminal session going.
> Now that's the sticky part for me.

I'm not sure what kind of hardware you are working with, but if you absolutely have to use a Windows, this is a very good freeware option:

IVT: http://home.planet.nl/~ruurdb/IVT.HTM

Unfortunately, I haven't found a terminal emulator that I like for *nix.

Basic Windows install, then connect it up to your serial line, read your Sparc S2 docs to find out the baud/parity/etc., start IVT - Telnet and select the Serial protocol and fill out the relevant stuff (Portname woudl be COM1) and let her rip.  One thing that I found with Debian is that during the install the "screens" don't work very quickly over a serial line and it can be a little frustrating.

Have fun,

Josh