(Sorry for the top post. Pine wouldn't include the whole digest.)

If I want to:

a) Make backups, I use DVD+RW.
b) Make DVD's to test layout and menus, I use DVD+RW.
c) Make DVD's to keep for use in my Samsung DVD-611 old piece of crap, I
use DVD+R.
d) Make DVD's to keep for use in my Sony DVP-F21, I use DVD+R.

DVD+RW takes about two seconds to erase. That's very nice when reusing
media for backups. It also happens that I have a plus-only recorder. It
works well enough that there's no reason to buy another.

Sony does make an effort to ensure + media playback. I'm sure they are not
the only company to do that, or anything else.

It's true that DVD+R and RW will not work in my old ThinkPad 600X DVD
drive, and my next DVD recorder drive will write to both media, but I'll
be staying with the plus format. When I buy a DVD player, you can be sure
it will play +R and +RW discs. I also recommend to all my friends and
family that they ensure the capability too.

Chris