The additional drives don't have to be mounted to common mountpoints - you
can mount /var/log as it's own partition (if /var/log was big).

If your home directories are the problem, then you could divide your users
up into /home1 and /home2 and have each one be a different partition.
Just make sure you fix the user's entries in the passwd file.

If this is just a workstation for you (i.e., not really multi-user), you
can just mount one of the big spare partitions anywhere and use it to dump
stuff.  My workstation here has a 14Gb partition called /space that I use
to dump "stuff".  My home directory is NFS mounted from the staff file
server, and is meticulously organized.  /space is for "garbage" - patches,
packages, stuff I download and play with, and of course, /space/mp3