Our school is using Linux with Samba to act as a Windows File Server (AKA
SMB).

We are planning to set up quota to limit user disk limits, but haven't had
a real need yet.

We have a backup script that backs up the user file system to a networked
PC, which the Admin then burns to DVD. (they prefered to keep the DVD
burner on a Windows PC).

We have a script that will add new users fairly easily.

Backing up a file while it's open is a no-no, any any system I know of.
You might want to check out Amanda for backups.

Most of these are stock RPMs on Redhat.  I assume the sames true for
Mandrake.