I may have miscommunicated my intent for the slow computer.  I just want
to see how it works, flaws, bugs, etc.  Once I can see that it will work
for what I want, it will be easier to get funding approval from the
wife.  The costs for Tivo haven't dropped in the last year and the
monthly subscription really turns us off.  If I can do something
flexible with inexpensive hardware and open source software, we'd be
very happy.

For now, I was going to use my main computer for recording, compression
and storage of the video, and playback on the 'slow' one.

One side question: how easily does the setup work with DirecTV?  Can the
computer remote-control the DTV receiver?  How easy is the user
interface for watching/pausing/recording TV?

-Ryan

--
Ryan Oertel <Ryan at IntegraOnline.Com>