> On the other side, tapes are nice and portable, and therefore are very
> good for off-site storage.  Of course, hard disks can be nicely
> portable, especially if you use FireWire or USB enclosures.

how much trouble do you have with plugging/unplugging your USB device?

we've got a firewire drive here that we use for portable storage; it's very
handy (went to the last installfest with 80+GB of linux distros on it); but
on my laptop it requires some loading/unloading of modules and issuing some
mount commands before it's ready to go.

I suppose a lot of that could be automated with a 'hotplug' tool, but I have
yet to learn how that thing works, and I'm still a bit leery of trusting
that for important company data.

it's a great way for geeks to do backups; but you can teach an idiot to swap
tapes (I have to teach clients how to swap tapes in their servers), swapping
hard drives is somewhat more complex and dicey.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises