Rick Meyerhoff wrote:
> It's confused me for a while why the URL of the TCLUG is
> "www.mn-linux.org" even though "www.tclug.org" makes more sense, is
> easier to remember, easier to type and it gets users to the same site
> (try it: http://www.tclug.org).

History:

A long time ago, before there was a Linux user's group in the
Minneapolis/St Paul area...  (and I specify Minneapolis/St Paul because
apparently there are other places in the world that call themselves the
"Twin Cities", go figure.  someone flamed me about this long ago on cola.

Linux user groups existed in St. Cloud and Mankato but not here in the
Twin Cities.  I met Clay Fandre in a HPUX class in St. Paul (summer of
97 or 98).  As we did introductions, Clay was the only other person in
the room (besides myself) who mentioned he used Linux.  I approached
him about starting a Linux user's group in the Minneapolis area.  It
took us a bit to get organized but our first meeting announcement was
posted to comp.os.linux.announce [cola] on 3 Feb 1998.  At that time we
called ourselves LUGMSP for lack of a better name.  I think our first
website was hosted on a geocities page Clay had.  At some point early
on, the name changed to TCLUG for Twin Cities Linux User's Group.  It
seemed to make more sense and it stuck.

Bob Tanner stepped up early on and offered to host the mailing list and
the website on his servers.  I believe Bob (or someone else at Real
Time) registered the domain mn-linux.org.  I believe the intent was to
link other Minnesota Linux user's groups under that domain, since when
TCLUG originated there were already other groups in Minnesota.  Bob -
correct me if I'm wrong.  We should all thank Bob and the folks at
Real Time for keeping the mailing list and website up and running all
these years.  Thanks Bob!

AFAIK, Jima is the one who registered tclug.org and just pointed it to
mn-linux.org to keep things simple for new folks.  Jima - also pipe in
if I'm offbase.

Personally I'm all for the idea of tclug merchandise.  I could use some
new T-shirts :)  I'd recommend using the http://www.tclug.org/ URL since
the groups name is TCLUG and it's user-friendly.
--
scot