B_o_B wrote:
> Hello, and a good day to you all.  I have been setting up the
> Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO from the Linux Docs Project on a
> Slackware 8.1 box.  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO.html
> The instructions are based on using Red Hat & Suse.
>
> I am stumped when the instructions reference having services
> automatically start at boot time.

most distros use SystemV style init scripts, thus the /etc/init.d
directory (scripts actually live there) and the /etc/rc?.d directories
just contain start or stop symlinks.  the idea is things are more
orderly started and shutdown, and you can re-run scripts as needed to
stop/re-start a service.

Slackware uses BSD style boot scripts.  all scripts live in /etc/rc.d.
all you have to do is create your start/stop scripts there and just call
them from /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Most of slackware's rc scripts support
start and stop arguments now so you can rerun them as needed to restart
a service.  there's a pretty good description of how this all works on
the slackware site:  http://slackware.com/config/init.php

If you need more help, email me off list.
--
scot