Lansing, Dan wrote:
> Let me start by pointing out I am a retard
> Next....i am running slackware 9.0 and just installed blackbox and fluxbox
> from /extra and I don't know how to use them now....at first install kdm
> had and option for blackbox but in my infinite wisdom I got rid of all the
> choices except the ones I used at the time.....now I want to use blackbox
> and/or fluxbox and can do nothing but sit in the corner and cry

config your system to not start the GUI by default (either by changing your
default runlevel in /etc/inittab; or by turning off the init script that
starts xdm/kdm/gdm). I don't remember how Slackware sets this up by default.

log in at the console

edit your .xinitrc file (in your home directory. it probably doesn't exist
yet).

add a line that says 'fluxbox' (or blackbox).

type 'startx'

it should now start up the GUI with fluxbox running. when you exit out of
fluxbox, it will return you to the console.

here's what's happening:
'startx' is a script that runs X (becoming root in the process), and X reads
in your .xinitrc file. the .xinitrc file is read and executed one line at a
time. if a command in the .xinitrc file doesn't return; X will just stay at
that point until the command exits and returns control to the startx
process.
generally, one puts the window manager as the last command to be run; so
that when the wm exits, X exits as well (since there are no more commands to
be run).
if you want to start up some xterms or other applications; put a line for
each of them before the final application, and append an '&' at the end of
the line so they get spawned off into the background. this is also a good
way to pass them geometry arguments so they always launch with the right
shape and location.

here's my .xinitrc for example:
xset -dpms &
/usr/local/bin/imwheel -k
xscreensaver -no-splash &
xterm -fg white -bg black -geometry 82x10+2242+0 +sb -title Top -e top &
xterm -fg white -bg black -geometry 168x16+0+0 +sb -title Swatch -e
/home/chrome/startswatch &
xterm -fg white -bg black -geometry 105x72+0+224 +sb -title Mail &
xload -bg black -fg green -update 5 -nolabel -geometry 100x100+1073+0 &
xclock -brief -digital -chime -padding 1 -geometry +1025+0 &
gkrellm &
if [ -x /usr/bin/fvwm2 ]; then
        /usr/bin/fvwm2
elif [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 ]; then
        /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2
else
        fvwm2
fi

(and yes, I'm running two monitors, so that's why I'm pushing some windows
1000-2000 pixels to the right).

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator