On Wed, 14 May 2003, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> IIRC, some time back Real Time Enterprises had problems with the
> Promise RAID controllers with the new listserver. What is your opinion
> on the different RAID controllers in the market today wrt to Linux
> compatibiilty and performance.

We love 3ware controllers here. Use 'em all the time.

Note that the Promise RAID controllers we had issues with were the
SuperTrak SX6000's - not the cheap onboard motherboard ones. Don't have
any experience with those.

I've also heard great things about the Adaptec 2400A's. Haven't used one
myself, though.

> Additionally, where do you see Serial ATA within the linux scheme of
> things?

I see it as the next logical step. As I understand it, the 3ware Serial
ATA raid controllers are already supported (by the standard 3ware
controller), and most of the on-board SATA controllers are also supported
in the standard kernel. I'm just waiting until the drives come down a bit
in price (well, and I'd like Western Digital to release a larger Raptor
drive), and for the hotswap trays to get cheaper, and I'll probably switch
over to SATA on any new boxes (servers and workstations.)