Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> Pine/pico, the latest hissy fit on the debian lists about mplayer, etc.

Have you _read_ the license for Pine?
Debian doesn't distribute it in a binary package because
even the slight modifications to the source tree to package
it could violate the license UWash distributes it under.
I don't know if RH negotiated an exception or worked around it some
other way, but binary distribution of pine is problematic, and Debian
is fanatical about sticking to the license that software is distributed
under. If you can't burn the binaries onto a CD and sell the CD legally
it can't go in main.

apt-get build-deps pine
apt-get source -b pine

Then install the .deb's with dpkg, but _do_not_ redistribute them.

>>>Debian isn't meant for the desktop of your (now)typical linux user,
>>>and it probably won't ever be.
>>
>>And again. Is it just me here? I guess I'm not the brightest bulb on
>>the tree, but...
>

> My mother can, and has installed Red Hat. She uses it without any problems.
>
> So does my girlfriend, and so do my little sisters (10, 13)
>
> I'm talking about _users_, not geeks.

I've seen "users" choke on RH, but be able to use Debian quite
effectively, and vice versa. I've seen hardware that would only take
particular distributions. There is no one right answer. I've even heard
rumors that there are end users using FreeBSD happily, the horror!

>>>Use `dselect' for user-friendly package management.
>>
>>Oh, nevermind. You got me.
>

> Calling dselect user friendly is a good measure of the 'user friendliness' of debian.
>
> Much like calling rat poison 'rat friendly'
>

>>Why does that make you sick? Has Debian done something against you
>>personally?
>

> I equate them with spam, telemarketers, and jehovahs witness. People
> attempting to force something upon you.

If you don't like it don't use it.
Nobody is trying to _force_ Debian on you (unlike the MS zombies who
seem baffled at the thought that anyone would _want_ to use anything
else). We couldn't even do it if we wanted to.

>>But with
>>so many Debian users oh so happy, it they must be doing something
>>right.
>

> There are so many happy MS/RedHat/*BSD/AIX/MacOS users, they must be doing
> something right.

They are.
MS does channel leverage right.
RedHat does support right.