On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:41:16 -0500 (CDT)
Daniel Taylor <dante at argle.org> wrote:

> I read it. But as I mentioned in my previous mail, I don't think
> EULA's come within a country mile of contract law. Therefore I felt
> it necessary to provide an explanation of why when shrinkwrap licenses
> were mentioned in conjunction with what a contract can do.
>
> In some detail.
>
> I personally see EULA's as letters of intent from the software
> publisher. Taken in that light they are quite ominous enough.

Has anyone actually ever tried and successfully won a legal case here in MN about the EULA?  BTW, I just looked at my XP home box and the license is only mentioned on the outside that it's contained from inside.

However, there's a gotcha on this.  Resellers won't allow opened software to be returned, and the only way to read the EULA is to open the package.  Therefore, you're F'ed.  No returns, no money back.  So, in a way you have an agreement with said software company.  Albeit forced to some degrees.

In my posts, I wasn't referring to software that came with hardware purchases.  I was talking about boxed software only.  Such as the upgrade or standalone versions of Windows, software games, Photoshop, etc...

--
Shawn

  The difficult we do today; the impossible take a little longer.

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"