On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:35:33 -0600 (CST), Nate Carlson
<natecars at real-time.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> > My business partner and I were on IM managing something over phpMyAdmin
> > when I noticed the "system going down now" reboot message on my SSH
> > console.  WTF?  Starting to get nervous.
>
> <...>
>
> > A few more minutes go by and get an IM from my buddy - ISP called back,
> > power cord was loose.  ARG!  At least they were quick about finding it.
> > Makes sense now but during the episode I was thinking much worse.
>
> Actually, loose power cord wouldn't give you the reboot messages; it'd
> just crash the box hard if it was losing the connection.
>
> Sounds more like someone hooked a keyboard up to the wrong box and was
> hitting ctrl-alt-del to try to reboot it to me - might want to disable ca
> in inittab..

Ahh, the fun of not being able to access the server physically.  I had
a similar misadventure a few months back.  I have a server that is
colo'd at a school.  After a reboot it would not come up.  Went
through the trouble of shipping out my backup server.  In the mean
time a little more dialoging revealed the fact that there was no
longer a keyboard attached.   The thing is headless, so when server
booted it threw the typical "I'd really feel better if I had a
keyboard to talk to" error and stopped.