On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Brian Hurt wrote:

> The cost of crimes, however, is dispropotionate, as violent crime racks
> up the costs a lot faster:
> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/ovc/ncvrw/1998/html/costcrme.htm
>
> Note that robberies only cost $500 million in 1996, while rapes cost
> $127 billion the same year.  But note that only 3% of medical expenses
> are crime related.

I think the total robbery cost includes only the value of stolen items.
I have no idea what "costs" are included in the rape value.  A total of
$127 billion for rape is an average of about $433 per US resident per
year.  That must include the cost of policing, detective work, prosecution
of offenders, incarceration, etc., etc.

> Which sounds really bad, until you start comparing it to chronic diseases:
> http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/overview.htm
>
> Heart disease is the real killer.  Rather than worrying about that
> psycopath, try quitting smoking, eating right, and exercising more.

Wow!  You sound just like one of our faculty!!

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor