On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Matt Murphy wrote:
> For some reason I seem to have trouble sending email through my RH9
> server using sendmail with authenticated SMTP. It works internally, with
> any client I try, setting it to authenticate or not, but when I try from
> home, even when I set the client to authenticate, it kicks back relaying
> denied.

 If it says "relaying denied," it's not a firewall issue.  That's sendmail
saying that.  Easiest way to tell if SMTP AUTH is enabled:

1. Telnet to port 25 on the mail server (i.e., `telnet mail.server 25`)
2. Type "ehlo your.hostname"

 The mail server should kick back some "250" messages, like:

250-mail.server Hello user at localhost [127.0.0.1]
250-SIZE 52428800
250-PIPELINING
250-AUTH PLAIN
250 HELP

 The "AUTH PLAIN" is what we're probably looking for.  If it doesn't
respond with that, you probably need to crack open the .mc file used to
generate your sendmail.cf; I can (probably) provide the configuration
options, if you need them.

     Jima