On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:19:19PM -0600, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
>>
>> I'm no expert on PuTTy use, so I'm shutting up about that.  But,
>> absolutely AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, shut off remote root access through
>> SSH!  Once you've got a user account working, you'll be able to log in
>> as a user and su to root for anything rootish you need to do.
>>
>> If you don't do this, the next time there's an sshd hole, your machine
>> will be toast....
>
> What kind of crack are you smoking? There is no good reason to turn off
> remote root logins, beyond an extra password to type.

Can you explain this further?  I have the impression (or misimpression)
that allowing root login is dangerous because if a vulnerability in sshd
allows login without a password, an attacker can then login as root.  If
root login is not allowed, they must guess a username, and if that works
for them, they still won't have root permissions.  Anything that postpones
a successful attack during the time between discovery of the exploit and
application of the patch will be helpful.  Is this way of thinking all
wrong?  I am happy to be corrected because I am not a computer expert.

Mike