On December 26, 2004 Mike Miller wrote:

> Here's the article...
>
> http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Time.MOTY.1982.html
>
> I have no time to read it now, but wasn't 1982 the year that the IBM
> PC was introduced?  The IBM PC must have had a lot of influence on the
> decision, but the article seems to be about computers in general.
>
> For this year, Time's Man is GWB and in 1938 the Man was Adolf Hitler.
>
> Mike

Quoting a paragraph in the article (very interesting read).

"There is much talk of a coming shakeout, and California Consultant
David E. Gold predicts that perhaps no more than a dozen vendors will
survive the next five years. At the moment, Dataquest estimates that
Texas Instruments leads the low-price parade with a 35% share of the
market in computers selling for less than $1,000. Next come Timex (26%),
Commodore (15%) and Atari (13%). In the race among machines priced
between $1,000 and $5,000, Apple still commands 26% followed by IBM (17%
and Tandy/Radio Shack (10%). But IBM, which has dominated the mainframe
computer market for decades, is coming on very strong. Apple, fighting
back, will unveil its new Lisa model in January, putting great emphasis
on user friendliness. The user will be able to carry out many functions
simply by pointing to a picture of what he wants done rather than typing
instructions. IBM is also reported to be planning to introduce new
machines in 1983, as are Osborne and others."

About 1978 can remember one of my son's bringing home a sheet of
Teletype paper where he had "conversed" with a computer at the collage
in Mankato.  He was in about 5th grade I think and was allowed to use
the computer as he had good grades.  The elementary school was also
located in Mankato.  I had a Teletype machine that was used on the
amateur radio bands "RTTY", and he asked me if I could connect to the
collage computer from my Teletype machine.  Still do some "RTTY" but the
computer has taken the place of the old Teletype Model 15 machine.

Jerry W