> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 11:41:53AM -0600, Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> >
> > Ok, when I was screwing around with switching my drives around, after I
was
> > done and booted up, I got a message about my cd-rom drive even though I
> > never touched it.  It asked something about if it should detect it, I
said
> > no since things were working fine with it before.  Now my computer
can't
> > read my cd-rom drive.  I went into bios but there wasn't any options to
> > make it detect a device.  any ideas what I should do to make my
computer
> > see it?
>
> Are you sure that you didn't accidently dislodge one of the cdrom
> cables?  Also, do you have the jumpers set correctly on the any
> harddrive that shares an IDE cable with CDROM?

Yeah, I'm sure.  The cdrom is the only drive on the cable.

> At 12:00 PM 2/5/2004, you wrote:
> >Ok, when I was screwing around with switching my drives around,
>
> Master/Slave jumpers correct?

It's in cable select mode, just like before I screwed around with it.

> >  after I was
> >done and booted up, I got a message about my cd-rom drive even though I
> >never touched it.  It asked something about if it should detect it, I
said
> >no since things were working fine with it before.  Now my computer can't
> >read my cd-rom drive.  I went into bios but there wasn't any options to
> >make it detect a device.
>
> "Auto" works fine.  Hit "pause" when the detailed BIOS boot screen comes
by
> & you should see all your drives listed.  Enable the detailed screen in
the
> BIOS if you just get a splash screen.

Auto?  I didn't see that anywhere in my bios options.  It also didn't have
an option to disable a splash screen.  I pressed F10 to get into my bios at
startup and my options were pretty limited, there isn't some hidden set of
menus, are there?

> >  any ideas what I should do to make my computer
> >see it?
>
> What OS?  bla, bla....

Red hat 9 on hda, mandrake 9.2 on hdb, I boot with grub.