> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:09:12 -0600
> From: Samuel MacDonald <smac at visi.com>

> I read the article, I don't trust either of these huge conglomerates or
> the "Info World" rag. All these companies care about is profits, they
> don't care about what is right or wrong.

It's sad to say, but most companies, and IMHO nearly all large companies
with faceless boards are like this. We deal.

>     As my mother use to say "One will lie the other will swear to it"
> (the 3rd will print it). m$ and ibm have been in bed sense DOS, m$
> office on Linux? I hope it never happens.

It is already hapenning, isn't it? Doesn't it run under Wine? If not quite
yet, then soon.

> Because of all the work the guys at OpenOffice.org have been doing. The
> product they have turned out is _"Excellent"_. They have turned out a
> solid set of tools that have a great look and feel.  All that's needed
> to complement OpenOffice is a MySQL front end like m$ access.  *Any
> developers looking for an open source project?*

I agree that OpenOffice is a terrific product. The only thing it can't do
is what Outlook does. Nobody spends all day there, but lots of people
spend little bits in there all day.

The minute Kolab or something else offers assignable permissions, working
on behalf of another and other groupware functionality, MS will have
yet another thing to worry about. Has anyone else noticed that the price
of Windows Small Business Server 2003, which includes Exchange Server, is
priced at $599 for five users? That's a huge reduction, and is a price at
which even tiny companies can get a quick ROI.

> Companies should look to other ways of doing things before porting m$
> office to Linux.  If ibm were to grant (without strings) OpenOffice.org
> $5 million, Open Office would be a threat to m$ office.  That will never
> happen because m$ and ibm are in bed.

And it will never happen because IBM and Sun haven't been the best of
friends.

Chris Schumann