>There is no significant difference between logging into root, and doing
>su from a user account.  The difference is very unlikely to cause what
>(I think) you are describing.

I'm sure you know this Ken but just to keep things clear for others, one difference comes into play if the user types "su -" instead of "su". At the moment I don't have access to a Linux box :-( to quote fromt the man page but IIRC, "su -" causes the profile to be run/sourced. I agree that, in this case it's unlikely to cause the problem described. The reason I mention this difference is that I have seen it confuse newbies.

Rick (in Baltimore this week) Meyerhoff