Ian Stoner wrote:

>Is there any consensus on what filesystem is best to use on laptops?  Is
>the benefit of journaling worth the cost in battery life?  How much
>battery life does journaling actually cost?

Use laptop mode as suggested in a previous thread.

Using laptop mode there would be an insignificant additional cost to
battery life when using a journaling filesystem.

Not using laptop mode and a journaling filesystem may not be hard on
battery life.  The reiserfs in particular holds off on writing cache as
long as possible.  (I'm not sure about the journal itself.)  The
reiserfs has provided excellent performance on my laptop!  I've
experimented with purposely running the battery dead and I've never lost
a file yet due to the journaling.  Also, I've never noticed more battery
drain with reiserfs versus ext2.

>If anyone has general tips about how to squeeze more life out of
>batteries, I'd be happy to hear them.

Shutdown the hard drive and use a USB flash device.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>