>>> johnnyfulcrum at mn.rr.com 06/09/04 09:36AM >>>
>Itching to learn more about linux on "server hardware".  So I'm bidding on
>a Compaq Proliant 7000 with Quad Pentium II 200MHz processors, 640MB of
>RAM, and 11 18.2GB Wide Ultra SCSI hard drives.

Should be a nice setup.

>Am I in for a nightmare? or will this unit allow me to get a good taste
>for setting Linux up on hardware one might use in a production type
>environment?  I've never dealt with SCSI drives, Raiding stuff, SMP > 2
>cpu - not to mention anything that'd go in a rack - has multiple power
>supplies - hot swapping etc etc...

Make sure you get the Compaq SmartStart CD with the server. It will
help you in the initial configuration of the hardware, and includes a RAID
configuration utility for the Hardware RAID. Configure the RAID in hardware,
rather than software. You will get better performance, and it will simplify
your life. If you don't get one, let me know, I can probably provide it.

SuSE since at least 8.1 works well with the Compaq servers. Anything more
recent than a Compaq 3000 has installed without a hitch (for me). The 7000
is, I believe, a similar vintage so should be well supported.

SCSI is not a big deal, particularly in a hot swap chassis, since termination and
what not are handled automatically for you. You simply need to remember that
the device naming scheme may be different for SCSI device vs. IDE.

>Also - what would one expect to pay for a unit as described above?

No idea, I get my stuff from work.

>Thanks all...

Welcome!

>johnnyf