Thursday, June 24, 2004   @   10:45:03 AM Central Standard Time

Hello, and a good day to you all.  I have a question regarding one process of patching custom installed 2.6.N kernels on Slackware.

When I originally installed the 2.6.N kernel, I used the
O=/output/files
option with all my make commands.

When the time comes & a kernel patch is released, my question is regarding the:
make mrproper command.

My 2.6.N source is in a dir by itself /some/directory/linux-2.6.N
All the output files from the original 2.6 build are in /some/dir/build/kernel.

When a kernel patch is released, I would like to make sure the kernel uses all the settings I originally selected when I built the kernel using the make O=/output/files menuconfig.

Do I need to run the make mrproper command while patching a kernel?
If I do should I run it in my
/some/directory/linux-2.6.N   source directory
or
would I want to run it as:
make O=/output/files mrproper
or
should I just skip the mrproper phase all togeather.

I guess I am a little confused about the mrproper procedure when it comes to kernel patches.

Many Thanks,

Robert De Mars

Lat.  45:09n
Long. 93:18w