Jima wrote:

> I think my major issue has always been the dial strings.  If they're set,
>minicom seems to think it has to dial for the connection to be active.  My
>first step is usually to zero them all out.  More recently, I've been
>using screen as a terminal emulator, thanks to Trammell's suggestion some
>time back.  Since I've been a happy screen user for 9+ years, I tend to
>have it installed already. :)

Based on what Chad and Jima said, I finally got minicom to work with the
Catalyst serial console.  I created a minirc file ttyS0.9600.8N1 that
obviously specifies the use of /dev/ttyS0 at 9600 bits/sec.,
8 bits/character, no parity, and one stop bit.  The command I use is:

% minicom -o ttyS0.9600.8N1

The -o option instructs minicom to do no initialization, thus minicom
will not attempt to "dial" a non-existent modem.  Unfortunately, use of
this option also means that minicom will ignore the (UUCP-style) lock,
so other programs could attempt using /dev/ttyS0 as it is unlocked.
minicom assumes that use of the -o option means that another program has
been used to initialize the serial line and it may have the serial line
locked.  There may be a better way to get minicom to work with the
Catalyst 1900 serial console, but the above command seems to work quite
well.

>$ screen /dev/ttyS0 9600 vt100

This works great too!  However, this command line is inconsistent with
the man page.  I shouldn't be surprised by man page bugs in open source
software.  Right?

Thanks again to Munir for:

# cu -s 9600 -l /dev/ttyS0

------

Thanks to everyone else who responded!  Your help was most appreciated!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>