I'm noticing a lot of "Unrouteable address" lines in my exim4 rejectlog
these days, and I just had a thought: wouldn't this be an excellent way
to detect spammers? I did some googling but couldn't find anything quite
like I'm thinking. The basic idea is simple:

1) Keep a list of IP's and how many attempts to send to an invalid
address they've made. IP's who have made more than N attempts are most
likely spammers.

But we can get more advanced than that.

2) Also keep a list of how many emails each IP has sent to valid
addresses. ip's with a high ratio of invalid/valid attempts are likely
spammers.

3) Keep a list of the usernames they're blindly sending to. After a
while you can derive the actual list the spammers are using. You can
then give IP's a weighted score based on the usernames sent to. Though
you'd definitely need to keep track of deleted/changed usernames and
mail aliases on your domain and whitelist them, you don't want a deleted
email address that was getting a lot of legit email to throw things off.

This should work very well on small domains with only one or two
addresses in use (like mine), may still work okay on a small company or
ISP's domain, probably won't work at all on a large busy domain.

Make a DNS blacklist out of this, and you've got yourself another metric
for automated detection of spammer IP's. Completely passive,
undetectable, get enough small sites submitting to the database and the
spammer's only defense is to stop rumpelstiltskinning, at least unless
they know its a big domain...

Time for some perl and SQL...