Hello all,

I just recently installed a slackware 10 box.  The setup is definitely
a bit different from suse and redhat/fedora.  I have managed to get
both my cpqarray controller and aic7xxx modules to load at boot and
everything is running fine, except the kernel only sees 1 cpu.  It
appears that I need to rebuild the kernel to add smp support.  I have
never touched the kernel so I am a bit out of my comfort zone on this.
 I have googled and got some good basic pointers but I still have some
questions.

It sounds like by editing the options in menuconfig I will be able to
activate the required raid, scsi and smp options.  If I copy the
current kernel.config over to the new kernel directory it sounds like
menuconfig will use that as the base choices and then I can add the
other required modules - is that correct?

Also, does this method add the modules statically compiled into the kernel?
I assume with smp it needs to be statically compiled as does the
cpqarray raid controller since that is what the os boots from -
correct?  Currently the aic7xxx is just loaded as a kernel module
because it only controls the CD and tape drive.

Any other tips/land mines I should research before diving in?  Thanks.

regards,
rotbau