Jason Reynolds wrote:

> I am looking for the best way to image hard drives. I will be having many
> drives that need to be stored. Speed is important, so I'm not waiting too
> long for drives to image.
>
> I am hoping to find some hardware device that is a connect a drive and image
> type device. If not a software solution will work as well. It would be nice
> if the data was able to be imaged onto a local network drive. But that is
> not necessary.
>
> This is to create backups of drives before they are worked on. That way if
> the hard drive fails during operation I have a backup.
>
> Jason Reynolds

If you're looking for complete backups that preserve filesystem structure
across the backup, then dd(1) is your friend.  However, you might reconsider
using network drives, which, since they run at the speed of the network, aren't
anywhere near as fast as another disk connected to the same machine.

-S