Perry Hoekstra wrote:

> Greetings all:
>
> I am running some performance tests on both Linux and Solaris boxes.  I
> can capture response time, errors, etc from the performance tool but I
> would also like the server resource consumption over that period of
> time, essentially top over time.  How would I capture top metrics for a
> given hour?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Perry Hoekstra

You can use sar or atsar to gather performance data over time. They grab
system stats on a regulr basis, 5 minutes on my boxes, and you can
generate reports from those stats. I think that on redhat it is part of
the sysstat package, on debian it's the atsar package. Not sure where it
is on other distros.

Josh