rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:

> I can't imagine anyone wanting a non-X windows linux system.  Even if
> your Mr. Text Mode like me, and mostly use the command-line and emacs,
> X is too handy to give up.  E.g., I love hopping back and forth
> between multiple konsole tabs, like having bigger console and Emacs
> windows, like having multiple emacs frames, like having my choice of
> readable black fonts on nice mild gray backgrounds, etc., etc.

but you can do all that in console,

first off compile the fb driver that corresponds to your videocard into
the kernel, (in my case it is a neofb) and compile in framebuffer
console support.

if you do not have a driver for your video card you can try vesafb or
better yet vesafb-tng

add video=neofb:1024x768-16 at 60 to get a nice big screen, if your video
card supporta a higher resolution go for it.

use screen or twin to get the windowing abilities.

use setterm to change the colours like:
setterm -foreground green -background black to get your greenscreen
back... or in your case you probably want -foreground black -background
white

really now... dump that X and free up the memory for more usefull stuff.

--
Munir Nassar