Chad Walstrom wrote:
> Scot Jenkins wrote:
> > root# cd /etc/init.d
> > root# update-rc.d -f xdm remove
>
> update-rc.d is best used in postinst/postrm scripts to update the
> linkfarms automatically.  It's not good UI, nor was it designed to be.
> As a user interface, it lacks structure and simplicity.

I couldn't agree more.

> > root# cd /etc/init.d
> > root# update-rc.d xdm start 5 . stop 0 1 2 3 4 6 .
>
> This is cryptic crap.  You can also specify what "priority" to use, such
> as starting at 20 rather than 99, but in order to use this command, I've
> had to reference the manpage or command help EVERY time.

Again, I agree and have had the same experience.  Just having used
chkconfig in the RH and IRIX worlds, I got used to a tool to managed the
links for me.  Being a recent Debian convert, this appeared to me to be
the "Debian way" of doing things.  I got used to it, but I agree it's
kludgy.
--
scot