On 8/15/05, Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 slushpupie at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu is a faster moving Debian. Same basic idea, but more modern
> > software, faster release cycles, etc.  The tradeoff is often newer
> > software breaking because it is new. So there are more updates, and you
> > will spend more time maintaining the system.
>
> Is it possible to just update certain packages when new versions become
> available and save the major updates for later?  Seems like it would be
> possible, but I'm not familiar with the details of package updating.

Of course, its a much more manual process if you want to pick and
choose.  By default updates do not happen automaticly, but there are
packages to assist in automaticlly keeping your system up to date. You
can often configure them to update everything, or just specific
things, or just notify you when updates are availible.

> I like the idea of a low-maintenance solution with up-to-date versions of
> the most widely-used packages.

Ive not done much of this, but you can mix different versions of
Debian. You can install Debian Stable as a base, and install certain
packagaes from Testing or Unstable.  The dependancies of the packages
sometimes end up installing more than you want, but this method works
fairly well.  And if you are not affraid of the extra work, you can
often "backport" a newer package to an older version of Debian.

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/