On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Andrew Zbikowski wrote:

> I am not a lawyer, but Apple has plenty of them on staff who helped
> think up ways around the Beatles settlement, and prepared a legal
> argument before whatever remnants of the Beatles (original members +
> benefactors of deceased) opened up a new lawsuit over iTunes, etc.
>
> From: http://www.legalzoom.com/articles/article_content/article11325.html
>
> The computer giant agreed that although it may be involved in digital
> music, it would not package, sell or distribute any physical music
> materials, such as CDs.
>
> Or it could be that Apple Corps just wants a slice of the digital music
> pie on their own terms, instead of Apple Computer's terms. Sue, then
> settle on a deal. *shrug*

I don't know how old that article is (URL above) because it always has
today's date on it!

>From the article:

    The looming question up for courtroom debate is whether iTunes Music
    Store sells physical music materials, such as CDs.

I think the answer is 'yes,' and the reason is that the iTunes technology,
which could not have been predicted in 1991 (before the general population
got on the internet) is competing directly with CD sales.  The point of
the agreement was certainly that Apple computer should not be a competitor
in the music industry.  Now they are a competitor.  Thus, I think Apple
recording will win this one too.

Mike