On 02/21 01:31 , mjn wrote:
> What we'd like to do is move the linux system out front (adding ClamAV,
> etc) as most of our mail traffic is from lists and use Postfix for
> delivery. The thing that I am struggling with--and it may be a terminology
> problem--is how to setup the environment so that with one primary mailhost
> and a secondary so that mail which cannot be delivered to the linux box is
> passed along to Groupwise to look for a recipient without having to manage
> 1000's of aliases.

I've seen a similar situation (due to bureacratic fiefdoms in a large city
government); where every one of thousands of users had an alias in a mail
proxy, directing their mail to one of a couple of mailservers, based on
which departmental fiefdom you belonged to.

The possibilities that occur to me are:
- use a replicated LDAP server to store your aliases file. Each mailserver
  keeps a copy of it. If you're married to Groupwise, this would depend on
  that machine being able to use LDAP for its equivalent of the aliases
  file.
- Set up a couple of Linux mail proxies, and let them do your spam/virus
  filtering. Copy your aliases file with rsync or the like. This may be the
  simplest solution, if it's possible to just throw hardware and money at the
  problem.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator