On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 04:57:47PM -0600, Jim Crumley wrote:
> > Is there a command that shows package dependencies?
>
> apt-cache is a good command to find out dependencies, as well as
> other info about a package. Start with apt-cache show kde

Actually, if you're only interested in dependencies, you can use
apt-cache depends instead:

~$ apt-cache depends perl
perl
  Depends: perl-base
  Depends: perl-modules
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libdb2
  Depends: libgdbmg1
  Suggests: perl-doc
  Suggests: libterm-readline-perl-perl
  Conflicts: perl-5.004
  Conflicts: perl-5.005
  Conflicts: perl-5.6
  Replaces: perl-5.005
  Replaces: perl-5.6
  Replaces: perl-doc

(kde has a _much_ longer list of dependencies...)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that