On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 10:29:17AM -0500, Randy Clarksean wrote:

> I have a number of systems wired locally with switches and hubs.  I would
> like to be able to do more backups from these systems to a stand alone
> backup system with a couple of large hard drives.  The issue then becomes
> data transfer speeds because a couple of these systems have 100-200 GB of
> data stored on them.
>
> The typical data transfer speeds have been on the order of 2-3 MB/sec when
> all network cards are 10/100 MB NICs.
>
> Randy

Replace all the hubs with switches. Hubs are a collision domain and the NICs
that connect to them run in half-duplex mode. You might need to configure the
NICs that are connected to switches to run in full-duplex mode (check out
mii-tool). You will see a dramatic speed increase.

--
Jim Kaufman
Linux Evangelist