>On Mon, 9 May 2005, Ken Fuchs wrote:

>> Please support Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) BIOSes such as
>> LinuxBIOS, before it's too late.  Future BIOSes will execute only
>> authenticated executables.  Will GNU/Linux be one of the authenticated
>> operating systems?

>Wow.  That is a disturbing suggestion.  Is that really in the works?
>I'll tell you one thing for sure -- I won't buy any motherboards that
>cannot run Linux.

I wouldn't worry about it until Congress passes a law requiring it.
Does anyone know when this is likely to happen?  It may take a few years
to "perfect" this restrictive technology and when it does, Congressmen
will look like heroes when they pass a law requiring its use.  (It would
not allow spyware, viruses, malware of most types to be run which the
computing public may welcome.)  The freedom to distribute
non-authenticated code would disappear.

The next advance in malware would be malware that illegally circumvents
authentication by either going around the barrier or pretending to be
legally authenticated code.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>