On Tuesday 15 November 2005 16:02, Richard Hoffbeck wrote:

> I suspect it depends on a lot of stuff that may not be well documented.
> I think that's true of most countries, not just Ecuador. If you show up
> with 5 motherboards and an Ecuadorian wife you may well be treated
> differently than if you showed up alone or if I presented myself to
> customs with a suitcase full of CPUs and motherboards. I do know that
> trying to sort things out in customs in most countries is usually a
> losing proposition.

obviously you never learned how to talk softly and how to carry a big stack of
greenbacks.

In most countries where most people make less in a week than what you make an
hour you will find that a friend here and a twenty there goes a VERY long
way.

That cop who pulled you over because you (ran a red light|didnt use a turn
signal|had a seat belt ON) didnt do it because he was being good at his job,
he did it because he was out of cigarettes and you looked like an easy target
(aka rich dumb foreigner*)

That customs official who takes a personal interest and walks with you every
step of the way making sure that there are no snags just wants to give you a
chance to express your gratitude. preferably if it is alcoholic and comes in
a glass bottle.

I have never been to Ecuador so your milage may vary.
I am also not a lawyer, if you get your nuts cut off trying the above, oops,
not my fault.

It is important to know people who know what is going on, those know what you
can and cannot get away with.

* you may not consider yourself rich, but you traveled to another country. on
a plane. for fun. For a great many people in the world that defines rich.

--
Munir Nassar